Monday 25 August 2014

I won, gosh!

Wow!  I won!  I got first and third prizes in both the categories I'd entered - 'Embroidered Item' and 'Cross Stitch - not from a kit'.  The second category was a little ambiguous as I interpreted it very literally indeed, whereas it seems that the actual meaning is something one has designed oneself.  The second prize entry was self designed and I did 'fess up and say that mine were slightly adapted from commercial charts, but as the category wasn't clear, it wouldn't have been fair to penalise me, so I won instead!!

The stumpwork bunny rabbit came first in the 'Embroidered Item' category and the recent wedding ring cushion won third prize.  I should have tidied the display up a bit before the photo was taken, but I was so excited at having won that I didn't even notice the rabbit's rather perpendicular ear and the ring cushion being upside down until afterwards.LOL!

In the cross stitch section, the Tudor Lady came 'only' third, whilst the 'Sunshine and Flowers' sampler won the first prize.  I'd only entered that one for the sake of it and as it qualified for the timescale (which is 3 years in this show - most unusual!)


So, I came away walking 10 feet tall (that's 3 metres for those of you who speak metric), with £10 of prize money in my pocket and a feeling that this was a most successful first year in the show!=)

Aim for next year?  Win the Best in Section (Craft) rosette....

PS Sorry for the delay in getting the new tute out to you.  It's in progress, but I haven't been able to finish it up just yet.

Text and images © Elizabeth Braun 2014

19 comments:

MoodyCatCrafts said...

Congratulations! They all look great. I've thought about entering some of my work in competitions at shows before, but the thought of all those other very experienced and probably traditional crafters put me off!

kal32 said...

Congratulations, you deserve it :)

jackiescrafts said...

Congratulations so very well deserved
Jackie x

D1-D2 said...

Congratulations!

H Gotts said...

Congratulations! Lovely work!

Julie said...

Huge congratulations on your wins. I am a committee member at our local horticultural and craft show and know only too well how strict the judging is.
WELL DONE!

Rachel said...

Very well done indeed!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Congratulations. This is a very big deal and well deserved!

Denise said...

Congratulations! Just the kind of happy news I love to read first thing in the morning!

Caroline B said...

Congratulations - well deserved! I've always loved that rabbit.

Sparklyjools said...

Congratulations! Very well deserved. Local shows are very stringent in their regs so you have done so well!

Carol Ann Hopper said...

Lovely work. Very well done.

zenuwpees said...

Félicitations vous le méritez les broderies sont magnifique bonne journée Marie-Claire

Dorte said...

Congratulations! Beautifuk works

crazyQstitcher said...

Congratulations on your well deserved wins. I'm delighted for you.

I've long been a fan of your bunny and it's good to hear the judges think him First Class too.

Maureen

Wendy said...

Well done! It comes as no surprise to me that you scooped first prize! How do you find out about local shows? Not that i'm sure I'd dare enter...

Queeniepatch said...

I am so happy for you! Well Done, Elizabeth!

Anonymous said...

congratulations Elizabeth on winning.. well done.. your work is stunning and you deserve winning.. :D

Renee said...

How fun! Congratulations! I look forward to seeing what you do next year. Your bunny is one of my favorites. Absolutely adorable. Congrats!!!

 
Google+