Saturday 19 October 2013

Stitching and Threads


This part of my Lizzie*Kate Summer Button-Up cross stitch is cute, isn't it?  I love this bottom corner with the lil' kitty peeping out.  It's only very simple, but it works well, I think.=)

This is how far I've got with the whole piece.  Not too far off completion, probably at about 65-70%.

I was working on the red border at the bottom and wondering why red, white and blue had been chosen for summer, and then it dawned on me - of course, 4th of July colours!  Well, that doesn't work for me either by nationality or the fact that I'm not patriotic at all, so I decided to leave that bit unfinished for now and, once the rest is done, I'd see about picking some more summery shades that co-ordinate well with the whole piece.  Also, the 'Spring' pattern has lettering in blue, so I want this one to be different.

It's been another good stash week as the day I put in the order for the #12 pearl cottons I showcased recently, I also ordered a few more Pipers Silks to a) plug the gaps in my collection colour-wise, and b) to fill my box.  This is what I enjoyed receiving on Thursday - 16 beautiful, gleaming cops of silk floss.

Below are the sections of the newly filled box just sitting on my desk, waiting to be put to good use in a project or four.


The 'Yellows' tray, photographed at this unusual angle as it produced the best distinction between the yellow shades.  Clockwise from top-left: oranges and peaches, warm yellows, cool yellows, warm browns, cool browns, and black, white and greys.


The 'Reds' tray contains, again clockwise from the top-left: purple pinks, red purples, blue purples, bright reds, dark reds, and red pinks.


The 'Blues' tray features: yellow greens, bright greens, blue greens, green/aqua blues, cool blues and black/white in narrower gauges.  If I get any more greys at some point, I'll move the regular black and white down here too.

If anyone would like any more information on the silks, or any of the colours etc, feel free to ask.  In the meantime, I need to think of something to use them in, right?=)

Sadly, I doubt I'll get my sampler done as planned as I'm rather out of action this weekend, down with something and just taking a few minutes out of bed now to do a few on-line things.  I want to get as much rest as I can so that I can go to London etc as planned on Monday - I do NOT intend to miss that trip!  It does mean not much, if any stitching will happen over the weekend, although I've made good progress since Wednesday's posting, so there'll be something to show whatever.  And you never know, I might feel up to more later on in the day...

Have a good w/e and I'll head back bedwards with some fun children's detective stories to amuse me and thoughts of all the art and stitchy projects I have in mind for the next few months.=)

Text and images © Elizabeth Braun 2013

11 comments:

Rachel said...

Rest and get well soon. What are you going to use the silks for?

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

Lovely silks! I hope you feel better for your trip to London.

Queeniepatch said...

The silk collection is so beautiful you don't really need to use it for stitching, just looking at it is giving a lot of joy.
The curious kitty is charming, too.
Take a rest and get better soon.

floozina said...

I do hope you feel well enough for your trip to London - how I envy you, but being on the other side of the world makes it a tad difficult .

I missed the bit about the perle 12 threads? Can you tell me where to see it please? I love perle cottons, especially #12 and #8, they can do so much. And if they are overdyed so much the better. The Pipers silks are gorgeous - talk about eye candy!

Sparklyjools said...

Rest up well - I hope you feel better enough to make your trip.

Elizabeth Braun said...

Hi Floozina! I'd envy you a trip anywhere in Aus, so we balance out somewhere.=)

The post you want is last Saturday's:
http://sew-in-love.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/must-it-all-be-fun.html

The pearl cotton photos etc are about halfway through the post, after the cross stitch WIP shots.

Enjoy!

JudyC said...

這些絲線真是閃亮耀眼,光是看看就讓人心滿意足了!真想知道妳將如何使用它們! judy

zenuwpees said...

La collection Silk et la broderie sont magnifique Marie-Claire

Anna said...

Ah those silks - it makes my little book look terribly inadequate!!! I look forward to see what you have in mind with those.
Hope you got up an about in time for your trip today.
Anna

Juno said...

Hope you felt better for you trip today. But ooooh so colours, gorgeous!!!!

iHanna said...

Your silk collection is to die for, love the sheen and the orderly way you've arranged them by colour. Swoon!

 
Google+